Monday, September 27, 2010

Deeply Rooted In Style

Bantu Knots 2010
Over the weekend I had the weekly task of coming up with yet another hairstyle to complete my regimen.  Usually I twist my clean, deep conditioned hair, wearing the twist for about 3 to four days then rocking a twist out for the remainder of the week.  This week however I craved something different, something not only stylish and sassy I wanted it to be African inspired.  While surfing web images for inspiration, I noticed many similarites in styles worn today and the connection to ancient African styles worn by my beautiful ancestors.  November 7th, 2010 I'll be attending my first Natural Hair Expo in the city where I live and plan on wearing an ancient African style, of course, tweaked with a 2010 modern twist.  Digging deeper into my ancestoral roots for hairstyling ideas not only provided me with historical knowledge, it aided my ability to keep mycreative juices flowing for myself and my clients.  Always remember ladies...YOU wear your hair...don't let your hair wear YOU!  Peace n' Blessings!


Bantu Knots 1950's Africa


Long Braids worn by the Egyptians
Erykah Badu

We can clearly see similarities between the long braids worn by Ms. Badu and the Braids worn by our Egyptian ancestors...simply marvelous!

1960's African Braids




Goapele

Again another modern depiction of the braid hawk worn by Goaple.  I love how the braids on the side are small and have a wave like pattern  Beautiful.





African style of 1950's


Goddess Braids of the mid to late 90's

All I can say is remarkable...whom ever braided this style has mad skills.  Fishtail braiding has always been challenging for me, especially on my own head.  This stylists ability to intertwine the Goddess Braid with fishtail design is creativly genius.


African Mende Woman

Alicia Keys

Cornrows are probably the most famous historical African braiding style known.  Alicia Keys stylist created a wonderful adaptation of the Mende womans hair style shown above. 

Sankofa:  "We must go back and reclaim our past so we can move forward; so we understand why and how we came to be who we are today."

No comments:

Post a Comment