Monday, October 25, 2010

Pura Body Naturals Review


A few weeks ago I responded to a post on Facebook asking if anyone was interested in being a product tester for a company called Pura Body Naturals.  Prior to applying to be a product tester I hadn't heard of Pura Body Naturals.  Nonetheless, after visiting the company website I was impressed with the natural ingredients in the products hair line and decided to apply to be a tester.  Shortly after submitting my application I  received a Tweet from the owner informing me I was one of the lucky applicants to be chosen to test a few products in the hair line.  I must say the owner of the company Santeyonne Powell was extremely professional in keeping me posted on the delivery date of the product samples which to me says much about her business etiquette and  ability to provide exceptional customer service should I decide to purchase from the website.  In this review I'll be showing step by step process of what my hair looked like before and after the products were applied to my hair.  My style of choice, dry twists, which I had never done on my hair before and was skeptical about how the results would be in comparison to my staple style of wet twists.  I wanted to do a dry style so I could really tell if the products would be able to moisturize my hair without the aid of additional water.


Hair Lotion #2,  Cupuacu Hair Butter, and MuruMuru Moisture Milk
(the container in the center is the hair butter)


The first product I used on my  pre washed and conditioned hair was the MuruMuru Hair Milk.  I've tried and liked a few other hair milks in the past and was pleasantly surprised to read the first ingredient was water.  Additional ingredients included muru muru buter, BTMS (conditioning emulsifier), castor bean oil, palm oil, avocado oil, chamomile extract, vitamin E, with paraben and formaldehyde free preservatives.  Smell and texture are the first components I use to assess whether or not a product will work for me. I loved the smell and for those who have tried Carols Daughter's Hair Milk it was similar accept with less of the lemon scent. This product may be used on wet or dry hair. 

The second product I applied was the Hair Lotion #2.  There were no ingrediant listings on this product nor was I able to find them on the Pura Body Natruals website.  The consistency was similar to that of the hair milk however, the hair lotion has a very light nutty scent to it.  Again this was non oily although Im sure it has some oils in the product.  This product may be used on wet or dry hair as well.

Similar to Shea butter, the Cupuacu Butter in my opinion is best used as a sealant.  Since the first two products are moisturizers I decided to apply the Cupuacu Butter last to help seal in the moisture.  Here are some of the benefits listed on the Pura Body Naturals website about the Cupuacu Butter: Comes from a fruit tree of the chocolate family, native to the northern Amazon.  Cupuacu promotes smoothness and softness to the hair increasing the natural moisture and elasticity.  The butter has proven to be beneficial for brittle, dry hair due to it's long lasting hydration properties to replenish moisture while promoting a healthy shine.  Cupuacu is considered hydrophollic (water loving) with a high capacity to retain water and prevent moisture loss.

After reading the wonderful information shown above I couldn't wait to use these products on my dry product free hair to see exactly how moisturized my hair would be....and here it is!


I started with clean conditioned product free hair and only using Garnier Fructis Leave-in.  I parted my hair into two halves and after detangling I twisted each half into large bantu knots to allow my hair to stretch while drying for the dry twist style I'd be wearing.


After about 8 hours I unraveled one of the large bantu knots and combed out with large tooth comb.  I section into 2 inch parts beginning with the back of my head.  Although leave in was applied my hair still looked dry with no curl formation.

 I saw a huge difference in the look and feel of my strands after applying just the hair milk alone.

Next, I applied the  Hair Lotion #2 to the same section of hair

...and sealed in both moisturizers with the Cupuacu Hair Butter


The consistency of the Pura Body Hair Butter was similar to Coconut Oil when its solid.  Easily melts just from body heat.

I repeated the hair milk, hair lotion, hair butter application twisting as I go until one side was completely twisted as shown above.

For the second half of my hair I decided not to twist as I go and instead to see how the products would look on my hair in an Afro worn out.  Again this section of my hair was completely dry and detangled. 


Untwisted bantu knot and combed out with large tooth comb

Divided this half into three sections to ensure product was applied from root to ends saturating my hair with all 3 products.

Instantly my curls begin to form.  My hair was not greasy or sticky after products were applied. 
After Pura Body Naturals was applied to entire  half section of my hair I  see moisturized well defined curls without any heavy greasy sticky feel to my strands.
Remember this was before any product was applied.

This close up shot shows how my strands were instantly moisturized giving it a healthy shine and restoring elasticity.


I twisted the second half of my hair which had already been saturated with all three products.  I applied a satin bonnet over my twists to sleep in.   When I woke up the next morning I was anxious to see how moist my twists would still be.  Just because I was going to be wearing a dry twist out style I certainly was not going to be happy sporting a dry looking twist out!  Once all my hair was untwisted I was left with a beautiful, moist, bouncy, shiny twist out! 






For this style I took the front bang and loosely pinned them behind my ears.  I only separated each twist twice to ensure the style would be able to last at least 3 days.  I really love the results of my dry twist out.   I wrote this blog post 2 days after these pics were taken and here is a photo of my 3rd day hair below. 


Now the purpose of me showing this photo is obviously not for the style (smiling).  As you can see however, my curls are still defined and I only reapplied the Muru Muru Hair Milk to my ends after removing my satin bonnet each morning.  These products undoubtedly retained more moisture in my hair than any other product I've tried in a very long time without the presence of water being added daily.  I recommend Pura Body Natural Products to anyone who wants to have moisturized beautiful natural or relaxed hair.  Also feel free to follow the blog for update product info to http://purabodynaturals.blogspot.com/




HHG!

No comments:

Post a Comment