Saturday, November 6, 2010

Winter Cornrow Styling Protectives

One of my favorite hairstyles, even before I knew what protective styling was, is cornrows.  I learned how to braid when I was 8 years old practicing on my Barbie styling head, then moving on to do other peoples hair.  I got serious and starting making money from braiding on other people in 2001 after trying cornrows with extensions for the first time on a friend of mine that came out really good.   I remember 2001 being the year Alica Keys came out with Falling and everyone started rocking cornrows with beads.  Prior to Alicia Keys I was wearing cornrows with wooden beads and gold clasps just for the record..smiling.  This winter I intend on retro-ing the cornrow and bead or some type of ornaments added to my styles.  I like the care free maintenance cornrow braiding offers as well.  I just sleep with a Du Rag on, take it off in the morning... and keep it pushin...as the saying goes.  Depending on how small I make the braids a style will last between 10 to 14 days which makes it a really  great protective style.  I happen to be one of those ladies who loves to switch up my look.  Wearing a style longer than two weeks would be a serious challenge for me which is one reason cornrows are a great option for those who like to switch it up a bit. 







I love the versatility of cornrow braiding.  Individuals look nice however cornrows offer more of an opportunity to get creative as a stylist.  With extensions or without, braided only in the front, or on the sides.  The options are endless.  Below is a photo of a Braided Faux Hawk I recently styled.










At the end of the day, for me its all about simplicity and creating styles that are healthy and easy to maintain.  I'm always mindful of how much pressure I apply to the scalp; health first, style second.  Moving forward, I will be filling Luv My Kynxx with styles for inspiration and if you see a style you like and live in the DFW metroplex, email luvmykynxx@gmail.com to book an appt.  Peace n' Blessings!



HHG!

No comments:

Post a Comment