Friday, December 17, 2010

Braid It Out!

Most naturals have a go-to style.  That fail proof quick and easy to maintain style that looks great everytime, for anywhere we go.  For me, its the Twist-Out.  Everytime I shop for new hair styling products, the first thought is, "how will my twist out look after I put this in my hair?"  Even though my go-to twists and twist outs are easy to manage and incredibly healthy for my hair, I wanted to try something new.  I'd been YouTubing and came across a beautiful Naturalista who was transitioning named Nina Pruitt- (click to see her hair) rocking thee most gorgeous braid out I'd ever seen.  In her video she used Garnier Fructis Leave-In which is a staple product for me. Thought I'd try my luck, and here it is...


I started off with a freshly washed head of hair using Organix Shampoo, followed by DC'ing with ORS.  While soaking wet I applied the Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioner and detangled my hair parting into quads and bantu knoting to keep hair untangled.




For all styling demos, I always start of with washing or co-washing depending on the amount of product build up I feel in my hair.  Followed with a deep conditioning treatment, alternating between Ayurvedic Brahmi and Amla DC treatments.  This is done on a weekly or twice weekly basis depending on the style Im wearing.


The Braids...
I sectioned my  hair into quads and sectioned those sections into four parts again.  Beginning with the top of the section I braided downward by french braiding large sections of hair from root to tip.  By french braiding (aka cornrow braiding) I learned from another YouTuber Naptural 85 (my all time fav) it eases the take down process from becoming a frizzy and puffy.  You can also do this with twists.

Because of my curly texture I stopped braiding about half inch from the ends and added the Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner to curl them.

I completed the braids and slept with my satin bonnet over the next two nights to ensure my hair would be completely dry for the braid out.

The Braid-Out...

This is day one of my very first braid out attempt.  I luv'd it! One huge difference I noticed was the added length retention I'd gotten from braiding vs. twisting.  Yay!





...and the back looked huge too.  Braid-Outs definitely give me BIG hair.

I rocked the braid out and got soooooo many wonderful kudos that day.  I got ready for bedtime and I was clueless as to how I could maintain this look for another day without re-braiding.  I didnt want to chance sleeping on it and looking a hot mess in the morning so, I decided to re-braid my hair.  It was really easy since my parts were still embedded into my scalp.  I followed the same braid pattern from before, lightly spraying water and glycerin mix to each section to ease with combing and add moisture.

Braid-Out Day 2...

Day 2 was even better!  My length was retained more so then the first day.  I contribute it to the fact braiding stretches my kynxx more than twisting so re-braiding added additional stretch to  my tress!


I didnt have as much wave definition as I did on day 1, nonetheless, I luv'd the volume.  While unbraiding for day 2 I added some Organic Coconut oil for shine and moisture.




Can't say braid-outs will replace my old faithful go-to twists...it was a nice change for a few days though!


HHG!

3 comments:

  1. I love your hair, I am going to do a braid out for the weekend...thanks http://members.fotki.com/CheveuxNoir/about/

    ReplyDelete
  2. THank you I will check out your Fotki as well...blessings! ~Kynxx

    ReplyDelete