Friday, December 31, 2010

Homemade Flax Seed Gel n' Twist Pt-2

This is the result of using homemade Flax Seed Gel on my Twists....




As always I started my regimen with co-washing using VO5 conditioner.  I used the Split Ends formula, although to me all the V05 conditioners work pretty much the same.  I know my kynxx luv it!  I DC"d using Brahmi/Amla powder with EVOO for about an hour and rinsed with cool water co-washing again to remove residual paste from my hair.


I stored the gel in the refrigerator over night.  I noticed the consistency thickened a little more between the time I'd made it and stored it in the container.  As soon as I removed the lid, instant Aromatherapy!



I sealed my wet hair with Organic Coconut..another one of my hairs BFF's. 



I wasn't careful enough during the straining process and a few seeds got into the gel...its all good though, its natural!  I dipped my fingertips in the gel and raised it to show the consistency.  It's not very heavy which is why when I first tried it, I didn't like it.  I was slicking my hair back into a bun.  It didn't have enough holding or slicking power for the look I like my buns to have. 
I repeated the steps below until my entire head was full of twists.

Sectioned into quads and applied Organic Coconut Oil from root to ends

Applied enough gel to the section to saturate my strands with flax seed gel from root to end.

I finger combed the gel into the section to ensure gel was evenly distributed.

And twist...


...until my entire head was complete accept the front section.  I flat twisted a section in the front to make it sassy!  My hair stayed in these twists for two days until they were completely air dried.


For the twist-out I unraveled each twist from end to root very carefully as not to cause too much frizz and keep more definition. 






What I luv'd most about flax seed gel was the strong scent which can be controlled by whomever is making the gel.  If lavender and rosemary aren't your thing you can switch it up with orange essentials or tea tree, frankincense and myrrh...whateva!  I luv'd the definition, shine and zero crunch factor.  I realize the coconut oil may have contributed to the end result as well.  This style lasted a full week, 7days including wearing the twists and day 4 to me was the best of all. I slept with a satin bonnet covering my fro in the back and applied coconut oil each morning then shaking my fro out and that was it.  Easy Breezy.


HHG!

2 comments:

  1. I just started following your site and thank you so much for this recipe. I'm going to try it on my next two stand twist out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made my own flaxseed gel for the past two months, and I love it. I prefer it more on my two-strand twists than a wash-and-go. I get more shrinkage with it on the first day. By day two of a WNG, it's a little better.

    ReplyDelete