Saturday, January 15, 2011

How to Make A Protective Weave/Wig


Weaves and wigs will be high on my list of protectives this winter.  I plan on having fun with them wearing styles I wouldn't normally wear with my real hair.  I plan on adding color and wearing short precision cuts since I wearing my real hair this way isn't an option. This will be a part of my growth journey this winter.  I luv the fact I can take it off and clean, condition, and oil my scalp and hair with zero manipulation, which for me is a key factor in retaining length.









People have shared nightmare stories with me about quick weaves that damaged their hair.  In my opinion a quick weave/wig is 100% protection.  If you are properly caring for your hair underneath you will have guaranteed growth and zero breakage.  I recognized there was one commonality in each story...a stylist that didn't know how to care for and protect their real hair from glue damage. 












Below I'll show a few pics demonstrating how to prepare your natural hair for a protective quick weave/wig and not have to worry about your hair being damaged from glue removal...no glue will touch your hair or scalp.



Since my hair was already braided from the week prior I moisturized with water and Knot Today and sealed  with an oil mixture of EVOO, Castor, Coconut oil as carriers for the Lavender and Rosemary essentails I've come to luv.



Next I placed a plastic disposable shower cap over my head then put the wig cap on.  Now I was able to glue the weave tracks onto the wig cap with confidence in knowing my natural hair will be protected underneath. 



Depending on the style and the type of hair being used its always best to begin with the nape of your head and move towards the front.


 At this point I contintued to glue the tracks on in a circular pattern unitl I reached the center and place the closer.  I cut and styled it to my liking and the photos above are the finished product.This is the first time I've ever used this brand of hair so Im not sure how long it will last.  I'd be happy with 2 weeks...but Im shooting for 4!



HHG!

9 comments:

  1. That's fantastic! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great short tutorial, I really want to try this. Were you able to take it off and put it back on and it still looked great?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tamekiab...Yes I took it off and wore it for about a month...even cut it shorter after a couple of weeks so it was tapered in the back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amber...This is what i am looking to do with my hair for this upcoming winter season. How do you make the closure for this wig?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi....I didnt need a closure for this particular style. I used the Duby hair that is already cut and bumped on the ends. I cut it into the final look you see....I believe it comes with a closure in the pack.

      Delete
  5. Amber, love it. Thanks for the tip on the shower cap method, make sure to update on the brand of hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I used the Duby hair in medium length but this can be done with any type of hair which is why I didnt list the kind I used. THank you for reading Sis!

      Delete
  6. How do u care for this?Like keep it from getting smelly and such...

    ReplyDelete
  7. how do u car for this n how long will it last?

    ReplyDelete