Friday, April 29, 2011

Product Review: Knot Today vs. The Great Detangler

A staple part of my hair care regimen are leave-in conditioners.  Ive tried several to date from Giovanni Direct (click to read LMK review), Cantu Shea Butter  and Garnier Fructis (click to view LMK Braid~Out tutorial using both products).  I settled on a favorite which has been Kinky Curly Knot Today (KCKT) which I've used off and on for the past 3 years, even before my decision to permanently go heat free.  What I love most about KCKT is the slippage it provides which cuts the time I have to spend detangling my hair in half, the added moisture it leaves my hair with, and the wonderful sweet scent that stays in my hair all day.  I'm not a product junkie, once I find a product that my hair reacts beautifully to I stick with it.  I often mention the only time I change products I find that my hair responds well to is if I find one of equal quality at a lower cost.  Who would have thought after years of KCKT luv'n, I'd find a product that was of equal quality at a fraction of the price? Certainly not me.
 A few weeks ago a client of mine told me about a new leave in she'd been using called The Great Detangler.  I read a few reviews about The Great Detangler by Taliah Waajid and for the most part they were all positive.  I decided to give it a try and purchased some from my local beauty supply store and yes it was considerably less money then the KCKT I'd so faithfully been purchasing especially since keeping my hair two strand twisted.

Comparisons
                                        Knot Today                                                           
Ingredients: Organic Mango Fruit Extract, Organic Slippery Elm, Organic Marshmallow Root, Organic Lemongrass, cetyl alcohol, behentrinmonium methosulfate, citric acid, phenoxyethanol , and natural fragrance.
Retail Price: 12.99
Where to purchase:  Kinky Curly Website, Whole Foods, Target Stores
Consistency: Rich, Creamy, Concentrated so it can be diluted with water and used in spray bottle for moisturizing.  No build up even when applying every other day at full strength to my ends for added curl definition
Scent: Fruity (to me, smiling)
Uses: Leave-In conditioning, may be used on wet or dry hair, detangling is a breeze even with fingers, moisturizing. 
Results:






Knot Today leaves my hair smelling so good.  Its not tacky and rinses clean after co-washing my hair. In this photo I am only using Knot Today in the puff.  The banded front part is smoothed with Kinky Curly Curling Custard

The Great Detangler
Ingredients: Deonized water, Vitamin E, Olive Oil, Shea Butter,Peg-75, Silk Protein,  Coco Butter Oil Extract, Cetromonium Bromide, Cetheareth-20, Vegetable Glycerin,  Mineral Oil, Glycerol, D&C, Yellow #5, Fragrance, DMDM Hydantonin, Detanglers, Balsam, Aloe Vera.
Retail Price: 7.99
Where to purchase: Naturalhair.org, Local Beauty Supply Stores, ,Target, Walgreens, CVS, and Whole Foods.
Consistency: Thick and creamy, may be diluted with water for additional moisture in spray bottle, heavier feel to my hair after applying.  Softens my hair on contact however, the product is heavy on my curls which creates more definition and less frizz.
Uses: Leave-In conditioning, may be used on wet or dry hair, although it detangles, it wasn’t as easy to finger comb through after applying as KCKT.
Scent: Earthy (to me) I can smell the Olive and Aloe even though the Aloe is the last ingredient and lesser amount included in the product.
Results:
Although my hair was frizz free with lots of texture definition, as seen in this photo the product initially left a white residue on my hair after applying which dissolved into a nice shine after about 15mins after I applied it to my freshly co-washed, micro fiber towel dried hair.  I noticed after using it for a few days on my pony puff it does leave build up. This is the only product in my hair in this photo.  In the one below I have it only in the puff.


The Verdict:
I actually like the results I get from both leave-in conditioners.  I must say after writing this review and noticing that mineral oil is used in TGD I would have to stick with my ole faithful KCKT.   I learned for my own hair care to look at the first 4 ingredients as key factors in how "natural" the product truly is.  Both products first 4 key ingredients are natural. KT's are all organic which I luv and the marshmallow root and slippery elm explain why detangling is so easy with it.   TGD's first 4 are Water, Vitamin E, Olive Oil, and Shea Butter which explains the heaviness on my hair and the reason it was not easily removed with co-washing.   I rarely use butters and pomades for this reason and opt for leave-ins, hair milks, and lotions.  It depends on the style for the most part as to what products I opt for.  I would use TGD again as a back up for KCKT if need be.  The end results of both products were nice however, TGD gives my hair more frizz free curl definition and length retention than the KCKT once my hair air dried. 
 I will continue to promote Kinky Curly Knot Today as being my fave natural leave-in!

HHG!



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this awesome blog. I love natural hair care products. I hope things work out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lucas...very kind of you, xo.~Kynxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about combining the two products? Layering them on top of each other. This may cut down on the residual effects. kckt first, them TGD for the extra definition. Although I like the KCKT better also.

    ReplyDelete