Saturday, April 23, 2011

Spring/Summer Protectives: Bunning

Spring is here!  Naturalistas who BC'd New Years 11 are approaching 2.5 to 3 inches of healthy hair growth...congratulations!  Protective styling is an important part of retaining length and health and the longer it grows, the more styling options you will have.


One of my old favorite go-to styles was a bun.  It didn't matter if it was high on my head or placed lower on my nape, I luv'd hair buns.  I stopped bunning after noticing my edges thinning and my hair shedding over time.  Since embarking on my healthy hair journey I look back and understand why my hair wasn't benefiting from wearing such an elegant protective style. 









Problem #1: I was wetting my hair everyday in the shower or tub.
Problem #2: I was brushing my hair everyday immediately after detangling it while wet.  My hair never had the opportunity to dry in the middle which caused my hair to become thin in the area where my bun was usually placed.
Problem #3: I was using those cheap yarn stretchy-4 for $1 pony tail holders sold at most BSS.  My hair was always tangled up in that thing when I would remove it.
Problem #4: My buns were pulled to tight.
Problem #5: I was styling my bun without using  any leave-in conditioner, only using a drying hair gel.


Since embarking on my healthy hair journey I have revised my bunning technique and had much better results then before it began.

Correction #1: I co-wash once for the week I will wear a bun.
Correction #2: Once my bun is styled.  I wear it for an entire week without re-brushing. I sleep with a satin scarf each night.  In the morning I wake up, un-wrap the bun, moisturize my hair, twist and tuck the bun again, secure with quality bobby pins (bulb tips wont peel off, I use Conair).
Correction #3: I only use Goody brand Soft Stretch scrunchies or ponytail holders.
Correction #4: I wear my  buns less taught.  By the end of the week my pony tail holder is more loose.
Correction #5: I always, always, always put a generous amount of leave-in conditioner (Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Knot Today or my new favorite leave-in The Great Detangler by Taliah Waajid,  product review coming soon). I still use gel as it is the only type of product that will define the waves in my hair the way I like.  I changed from using the amber-colored Eco-Styler Protein Gel, to Kinky Curly Curling Custard and Eco-Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel.

Sometimes I wear 2 buns...cute, fun, easy, and lasts me 2-3 days!


Styling:  I apply the KCCC first, brush back with my soft boar bristle brush, I then use a half dollar size amount of the Eco-Styler Olive Oil hair and brush it back again.  I wrap my pony tail holder no more than twice, divide the hair in 2, twist, tuck, and secure the bun with pins. Easy breezy! I can ad accessories to my buns to give it a different look during the week.

Hair Sticks are a fave accessory of mine when bunning.
When it comes to choosing styling products, do what makes sense for you.  This is and will always be my motto.  I am not a vegan product user although I do understand the importance in using natural styling products to maintain healthy hair, as a stylist the end result is of equal importance for me.  In the end, the product will have to provide the look I desire. There are tons of products naturals have to choose from and tons of recipes for mixing up our own...just do what makes sense to you and for your hair! Continued blessings...


HHG!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. I will bee bunning for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. I will be bunning for the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. I really love bunning! Buns is love. :) Nice photo by the way. Like your hair!

    ReplyDelete