Friday, June 17, 2011

Summer Protective: Wash n' Go Updo


With Summer approaching it's time for me to get busy creating protective styles that will help retain my hairs moisture, protect the ends, and that will last at least 2-3 days.  If you're like me and live in a city where temps regularly soar above 100 degrees, it's important to keep those ends tucked away to prevent breakage from dryness and also ensure maximum growth retention. 

Last Saturday I posted a photo on Facebook of a Summer protective I created.  I received much feedback from ladies wanting me to do a how-to on the style. When it comes to creating a hairstyle, I find inspiration not only from women with similar hair lengths or textures as mine.  This style was  inspired by a Naturalista I noticed rocking a beautifully styled TWA.  I tweaked it to fit my face and my hair length.


For starters I co-washed my hair with VO5 Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint (.66 cents at CVS on sale).  Next, I towel dried using my microfiber towel hair turban ($1) I found at a Dollar General store.


I sectioned my hair into 4 parts and applied Kinky Curly Knot Today from roots to ends.  I always have some of whatever conditioner I use to co-wash left in my hair, as it only makes sense to.   When I use a leave~in, I use them for styling purposes, wash n' gos like my Giovanni Direct Leave-In [Click to read review], or Taliah Waajids The Great Detangler [Click to read review] for curl defining, for instance, my puffs.  One important step to getting the best results if you are a Kinky Curly Curling Custard user is to keep in mind Knot Today partners with the Custard to eliminate the "crunchy" feel some complain about.  If you've tried KCCC in the past and didn't like the results, try using it after applying  KCKT.  Before you completely "X" it from your product list try them together, it might make a difference in the final result.
  How To...
Just a quick FYI, I wore this style for two days last weekend. Thing is, I just henna'd last night and don't want to wear this style again.  In the photos below I'm showing you how I parted twisted and pinned to get the final result.  My hair is product free so the pics don't look as smooth and silky as the final result taken from last weekend.  Photos are only intended to show step by step how I created the final look. The style for this weekend doesn't require KCCC or KT and I wasn't going to waste using product on re-creating the style. 

I began with clean hair, sectioning into 3 parts...




I brushed the bottom section into a ponytail and two strand twisted the hair left out of ponytail... 





 I veritcally parted the middle section half...


Then I parted each half horizontally...
 

I flat twisted each horizontally parted half where the vertical part meets in the center, again two strand twisting the hair left hanging out...



The top section was brushed back into a  ponytail with the hair hanging out into 2-two strand twists...


Once all the hair is twisted, I began pinning them up using open ended bobby pins starting with the bottom section and pinning it under...


I then twisted the already twisted hair into one large formed two strand twist again for added volume...


I then tucked and secured the ends and twists with open ended bobbies to secure once again until all the hair was tucked and secured creating the look of one large twist going down the back...
Finshed.



HHG!

7 comments:

  1. Very cute. I wonder if my hair is long enough to do this. I'm not very good at flat twisting, but I'll give this a try.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair is very beautiful! And I love this style. I'm transitioning right now and I found your blog from a friend on FB who found you... LOL Have a great weekend!

    Oh did I say I like your blog it's very informative! Thanks for Sharing!

    AprilDenise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial Amber! Love this style! It is so flattering on you too. Question, did you secure the flat twists with anything or did you just go straight into the two strand twists with the loose hair?

    Shelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this style! this would prefer for a transitoner or someone newly natural. I plan to reblog this on my site, www.naturandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monique...thank you for the reblog Im definitely stopping by your site and showin sum luv Hun! Shelli you already know I luv,luv, luv your hair Sis and your blog...thanks for the sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute!!!!!!!!

    www.curlychellez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this style... I want to do this, but I think my hair is not long enough yet, but I will make it a goal.

    ReplyDelete