Monday, August 15, 2011

Bentonite Clay~ Facial Detox


Calcium Bentonite Clay

I recently asked a few of my FB friends for information about Bentonite Clay and what if any benefits users felt it provided.   Nothing but great responses, and the one that caught my attention most was the comment made about it being a cure for acne.  My skin is not problematic but I do have a teenage son I knew could benefit from using it.   A few days later I made a trip to my local Whole Foods market and bought some.  One of the things that I found VERY pleasant was the price. Bentonite Clay is not expensive at all especially when you compare it with the benefits it has both internally and externally.  This post will address its benefits when used as a facial detox.  I will follow up as I begin using it for other reasons with posts specific to how I'm using it, like when I treat my hair with it for example. 
I bought this for 10.99.  The instructions read that it may be mixed with apple cider vinegar and/or water.  I've had the same gallon size of ACV underneath my kitchen sink for about 9 months and have only used it twice.  I don't too much care for the smell of but I figured I would strap my big girl boots on and give it a try anyhow.  Well my son was completely against it so I didn't mix it with the ACV and used distilled water instead.  I scooped one cup (way too much for 2 facials) and added equal part water.  I was so anxious to use this on my son and myself I didn't bother researching correct amounts to use or anything ;o) .


I wanted to take before and afters of my son and I and unfortunately he wasn't having it.  He didn't mind taking it with me in full garb but didn't want his face photographed prior too or afterward.  That's vanity for you.

This was the amount of clay left in the bowl AFTER it was applied about a half inch thick as the directions called for.  A little goes a long way.
We look like two alien goons in this photograph and I'm just smiling away.  I applied the clay to my sons face first then to mine.    I felt it pulsate to the fullest.  So much so it frightened me at first and I was about to wash it off.  Information on the canister states that you will feel a pulsating effect on your skin as it dries. I left the clay mask on my face for 20 minutes.  


To me when it is mixed it looks like cottage cheese.  Those bumps are just clay that didn't mix smoothly with the water.  I pressed on a few of them with my finger pads and rubbed them in. 

In case  you're wondering, I didn't shave my hair.  My hair is getting a much needed henna treatment and I have Cling Wrap, securing the henna on my head.  This was about 10 minutes into the facial...no pulsating as yet.
  
This is just before I rinsed it off using Luke warm water.  As you can see the clay is now cracked from drying.  At this point it was pulsating like crazy.  I cant describe it aside from saying it feels like your heart beating, only its in your face and not your chest creating a very warm sensation at the same time.


I took these close ups to show how clean my skin looks.  The softness over the past few days has given a feel my skin hasn't had in years.  I have combination skin that is oily where my nose, chin and upper forehead are,  dry in between my brows and on my cheeks.  I noticed even in this hot humid climate I didn't have as much shine as I usually get, a great bonus to me.

Why Calcium Bentonite Clay Is Beneficial?

Not all clays are the same.  Some can be ingested while others must be used externally only. Upon researching the benefits of Bentonite Clay, I learned Calcium is best.  Bentonite clay was originally found in Fort Benton, WY.  There is a company that sales the naturally occurring clay from its place of origin and it can be purchased here; Earth's Living Clay .  As I mentioned before, the price is really inexpensive.  On this site it is sold premixed for internal ingestion, detox baths, and as a facial kit.   Bathing in Bentonite Clay works in detoxifying minerals from the body and impurities like worms, and skin ailments like gangrene.  Due to it's strong absorption properties it can draw impurities from our bodies through the skin:

"The condition of the skin is a good indication of what is happening inside the body.  Most people are not aware that the skin is the largest organ and a means of eliminating waste; each day waste passes through the pores of the skin.  Everything that affects the body in turn affects the skin.  When the body is full of toxic wastes and cannot eliminate them properly, various skin ailments may result.  The only effective way to get rid of these conditions is by cleaning the body inside and out."  
Calcium Bentonite Clay is one of the safest, easiest, and least expensive detoxing substances available today. Clay is a non-evasive (non surgical and pain free treatment, and when it is properly used, clay treatments cause no harm. Rapid healing often results, such as a noticeable reduction in pain, irritation, and inflammation, even when many other methods have failed. Clay functions several ways:
  • Minerals that make up Bentonite clay (which the body cannot absorb) work together to absorb heavy metals and other toxins in the gut (digestive system). Thus, clay taken internally, can help improve intestinal health and keep the toxins from being absorbed into the body.
  • The energy of clay stimulates the revitalization and rebuilding of damaged cells and tissues.
  •  Clay baths, through clay's strong drawing powers, help your body detox through the pores of your skin.
  • Internal parasites are drawn to the clay and expelled from the body.
  • Most clays are naturally alkaline and as a result, balance the body's pH and reduce over acidity.
When taken internally, it acts as a laxative and relieves constipation. It improves digestion, restores appetite, and alleviates problems like indigestion, acid reflux, bloating, and gas.


It also neutralizes the harmful free radicals in the body and lowers the risk of many diseases including cancer. A bentonite detox is a very effective way to detoxify your body, increase vitality, and improve overall health.





This photograph was taken 3 days after the facial...I sometimes get small pimples around  my hair line from butters and oils I use. Since this facial I dont even have one small pimple on my face and the oily shine I often get is gone!

 HHG!

6 comments:

  1. Its a great product. I use it mostly on my hair when I want to do a deep cleanse. It will pull all the impurities out and leave your hair with great curl definition. I also use it for my face. I have VERY dry skin so I mix a little oil in with mine. I try to do both treatments at least once month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Monique...I love anything I can use for mulitple purposes. This is right up there with Black Soap in my list of staples.

    HI Miss Leah..thank you Sis I appreciate your support and that you took the time to comment. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!! Your site is just amazing! I was online doing some research for my own site where I feature information about natural hair among other things that pertain to the Black community. I am bookmarking your site and I would love for you to check mine out because I'm sure we can connect and help each other out.

    I love your hair styles!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abagail my apologies for the late response. Thank you for reading and even more so for taking the time to comment. I visited your blog prior to this reply and I love it. Your articles on Ayurveda are great and very informative. Feel free to hit me via email! Continued Blessings! ~Kynxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using Bragg's Apple Vinegar for over a year and it has really helped with almost everything from pains to lessening colesterol. The moment I initially began taking ACV I had it for ninety days and my cholesterol reduced 26 points. I even spotted I just didn't experience the flu- like aches that I encountered with day-to-day any more. I had acid reflux problems and that is vanished. My bloodstream pressure gone decrease from 114/90 to 103/ 80 . Fantastic for assisting go to toilet also. I believe it is for the reason that of all the excellent in the mothe r(the cloudy area at the bottom level).It is crammed with potassium and other sorts of vitamins. I take 3 shot glasses a day diluted with standard water (equal parts of water and ACV). I claim by it. It is fine for the pores and skin and detoxing also.
    My web page Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits

    ReplyDelete