Monday, September 19, 2011

How To: ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment

Tis that time again...my weekly regimen is due.  After assessing my hair post co-wash I didn't like how my hair felt.  It actually felt like a sponge to me. I thought about it and realized it has been about 2 years since I had a protein treatment aside of my occasional egg/evoo mixture.  I wanted to step it up a bit and use one of my old faithfuls, the  Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment.  When I wore my hair straight, my hair was at its healthiest at one point in time using Aphogee products.  I used to wash it with the Evening Primrose shampoo (discontinued) and follow up with the 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor or Balancing Moisturizer.  Looking back my only reason for using this product line was because my hair responded so well to it.  Now I understand more about my hair I understand the importance of pH balance to the health of  hair, I understand why my hair grew so long and healthy.  All of the ApHogee products restore the hair to its healthy pH balance which is between 4.5 and 5.5.

How can I tell if my hair needs protein added into my regimen?


For me it was pretty easy to tell simply from using my sense of touch, but I figured I'd take it a step further and perform a strand test.  I use a very large toothed comb when I detangle and I noticed that when combing it out it would stretch and stretch and then snap, not break,  into the comb.    I performed a test on my hair while it was wet since for my hair it is the only way I can truly tell when I need more protein. My last egg and evoo DC was at least 4 months ago.

  1. You notice your hair has it's elasticity
  2. Your hair feels limp, spongy or mushy. 
  3. Your hair is extremely dry or brittle
  4. The deep conditioner I use, Organic Root Stimulator's Replenishing Conditioner, has protein in it (hydrolyzed collagen) .  However, the amount of it isn't enough to stop the mushy feel.  Since I co-wash often, I can really tell an intense protein conditioning treatment is needed, matter of fact long over due. 
The Treatment
Step 1: Wash hair.  Treatment should be applied to clean strands.
Step 2: Section the hair using which ever method is best for  you.  I always section mine into 4 parts.
Step 3: Place the liquid into a bowl (warning: the scent isn't very pleasant...at least not to me).


Step 4: Apply using your fingers or an application brush. Once all of the hair has been coated do not cover.






Step 5:  Once applied to all sections, sit underneath a hooded dryer until the treatment is completely dry.  (IMPORTANT: DO NOT TOUCH OR MANIPULATE THE HAIR WHILE IT IS DRYING.  THE HAIR WILL BECOME VERY HARD AND CAN POSSIBLY BREAK IF TOUCHED OR MOVED.



Step 6: Once the treatment is completely dry, rinse.  Do not touch or move your hair until  after the treatment has been rinsed for at least 1-2 minutes (depending on the length and density).  By then it will be safe to touch and move around to make sure it is thoroughly rinsed. 

Hair will be very hard and stiff to touch.

Step 7: Apply the Balancing Moisturizer.  Use this very generously.  Place a plastic cap over once applied and sit underneath a hooded dryer for another 15-20 minutes. Now the directions say 2 minutes no heat but from doing this treatment I realize it doesn't hurt to leave it on much longer.  This treatment can dry the hair out.




Step 8: Rinse the Balancing Moisturizer with cold water.

The elasticity has definitely improved.  I haven't seen this much shrinkage in moons.
  

Step 9: Style it up!




  
Step 10: In the days to follow it is very important that you moisturize daily, as needed.  Forget about following a specific moisturizing daily regimen and assess the dryness often throughout the day adding moisture to it.  Do this until your hairs moisture balance returns to  the way it was pre-treatment or better if you had excessive drying prior to.  I say this because so many women have told me the treatment excessively dried their hair and eventually it broke off.  This is total opposite from what it does if done correctly.  Your hair will have added strength and elasticity for at least 6-8 weeks.  I was doing them at one point every 6 months and that was good enough for my hair.
I wanted to touch bases a bit on pH balancing.  Our pH is the measure of how acidic a substance is.  A substance with a  pH of 7, means it's neutral, neither acidic nor basic. An example of a neutral substance, water. When pH is less then 7, it is acidic. When it is above 7, it is alkaline.  The normal pH of our body, scalp, and hair, is around 5 which is why we want to keep our body, scalp and hair between the ranges of 4.5 and 5.5.



HHG!

10 comments:

  1. ...uh, you need to make a tutorial on how you achieved that hair style if you haven;t already cause that's super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...okay Ms. Lovelie Daye...I will do one just cuz you put it out there Sis. Style tutorial comin' up! ~Kynxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the treatment my hair is doing wonderful,and my curls pop back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the results! An the style is very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Great step by step...I tried it this wwekend and it really did bring my hair back to life. Quick tip; I used an applicator bottle to apply the protein treatment, that way you can shake and use it like a foam so it didn't drip and it kinda helps with the smell. HTH

    ReplyDelete
  6. I purchased the product and this is my second week using it. Your site really encouraged me to continue. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used the product as instructed on my daughters hair, but i didnt use a sit under dryer because she hates it. but where i think I went wrong was with ghe balancer i allowed it to stay abt 3 to 4 mins .. & I didn't use a reconstructer or leave in conditioner... Wht should i do..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would using Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner (http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Root-Stimulator-Replenishing-Conditioner/dp/B001CXD1AA/ref=cm_rdp_product) for the conditioning moisture afterwards also be acceptable?

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I apply henna every 4-6 weeks; can I also do Aphogee 2 step treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've used this product when my hair was relaxed and it worked wonders. Now that I'm natural, I use the 2 minute treatment, but will start using the 2 step at least every three months because I color my hair. From all the research that I've done on how to use this product, it is recommended that you DO NOT us a deep conditioner that contains protein with the 2 step treatment. Make sure to use a deep moisturizing conditioner. Lorea'l Mega Moisture comes to mind, but there are many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete