Monday, October 3, 2011

Henna Day 2/ Mineral Fusion Reveiw

.
There are so many different ways to mix henna. I've been using it now for so long I decided to start trying out different ones just to see if I'd notice a difference in my hair. On my last Henna Day post, I tried the henna gloss...luv'd it! This time I'll be showing how I mixed the henna w/black tea.


As always I used my favorite brand of henna which by the way I find locally and dont have to worry about shipping costs.  I use Nupur by Gorey.  Why?  Well, for starters its much less drying on my hair then other brands I've used.  Nupur has a total of 9 ayurvedic herbs. I pay 2.99 per 150g bag and use one. After I mix it with water and additonal ingredients, I ususally have 1/2 cup remaining. My hair is about an inch past armpit length.
Ingredients included in Nupur Henna are:


Brahmi (promotes growth)
Shikakai (cleanses scalp/shines hair)
Aloe Vera (moisturizes)
Methi (conditions, revitalizes hair)
Bhringraj (makes hair luxurious)
Amla (darkens hair color, stops ecessive hair fall)
Neem (fights scalp infections/drandruff)
Hibiscus (rejuvenates hair for shine and silky hair)
Jatamanal (prevents graying of hair).   





Black Tea Henna Mix:
Step 1: Place tea bags in boiling water for 3 minutes.  I measured 2.5 cups of water prior to boil. Black Tea tightens hair roots similar to henna to keep excessive shedding in check.


Step 3: Remove from heat. Place tea in plastic bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.

Step 4: Add tea to henna and mix. 



Step 5: Add 1/2 lemon to paste and mix thoroughly. Henna release it's dye more efficiently at a slightly acidic ph of 5.5.

Remove the seeds prior to squeezing into paste with a small kitchen knife.

Step 6: Cover and let henna stand for 4-6 hours.  Henna will be lumpy. The longer you allow it to stand the smoother the consistency of the paste will be.
Very lumpy texture

Step 7:  Prepare for henna application by getting gloves, plastic ear protectors (optional) and a towel. You can apply using a hair dye application brush or gloved hands. 
Step 8:  Check henna paste to make sure the lumps are now smoothed after mixing.
Step 9:  I apply henna on wet detangled hair sectioned into quads, starting with the back ending in the front, from the root to the end of of my hair. Once my hair is completely covered I wrap it with Cling Wrap.





Step 10: Allow henna to sit for 4-6 hours and rinse until water runs clear.  You may need to use conditioner to help completely remove the henna.

Right off I noticed less of the red tone and a deeper mahogany brown tone to my hair.

Mineral Fusion Volumizing Mineral Conditioner Review
Step 10:  Apply a moisturizing conditioner* to restore moisture.

* I usually use ORS Replenishing conditioner but thought I'd try something new I found at Whole Foods, called Mineral Fusion I am stil happy with ORS I just wanted to try something else that was Vegan to see if I really saw a difference in the way my hair felt and reacted to it in comparison to the ORS.

Ingredients: Purified water, Aloe Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Barley Protein, Sunflower Seed Oil, Panthenol, Mineral Blend ( Malachite, Smithsonite extract), Flaxseed Oil, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Cranberry Seed Oil, Sodium Benzonate, Potassium Sorbate, Natural Aroma blend. Bottle reads: Certified Organic. 100% Vegetarian and Vegan, no animal testing, free of parabens, artificial frangrances and colors.

I like a nicely scented conditioner...this smelled good to me. Not great just good.  Very organ-icky for lack of much better word. Kind of like a green smoothie.

I loved the texture, very thick and smooth.

I put it on the ends first very generously and worked into my hair.

One of the things I noticed was it didn't provide any slippage at all. Big disappointment.  I used this conditioner to test  how well it would hydrate my strands.  I couldn't think of a better time then following up from henna.  This is a sure way to tell how well a conditioner moisturizes.  Then I read the ingredients, again.  On top of me following up from a henna treatment with lemon in it (acidic), the protein and minerals in the conditioner, it's no wonder.  ORS has protein and it instantly silkens and slips on my hair, curls pop.  There were quite a few oils though so I hoped my hair would take to this conditioner not to mention the bottle reads: Hydrating while increasing volume and thickness.  Unfortunately, my hair didn't result in feeling hydrated.  I'm not blaming the product, I just think it might make a better protein conditioner. I have half of the bottle left, which would be one more application. I'll use it as a protein conditioner when my hair needs some, probably sitting under the dryer.  Might be awhile but I'll hold on to it and revisit later.  I'm keepin' hope alive for my little $5.99 vegan conditioner ;o) 
Mineral Fusion supports the National Coalistion Against Domestic Violence. Read more Minerals On A Mission

Step 11: Style.

Two Plaits...kept it simple... ;o)


HHG!







2 comments:

  1. Hi! LOVE LOVE LOVE ur blog!!!! What kind of powders should b uses to revive condition n moisturize dry brittle hair??? How often should they be used??? Thanks again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shaela!!Powders really do not moisturize but they do add stregth and shine to hair. Ayurvedic powders can be drying so following up any powdered Ayurvedic treatment with a good moisturizing conditioner (covering the hair w/a plastic cap using heat is best) is highly recommended. For deep conditioning you may use them as needed to strengthen the hair. Again keep in mind it is very important you follow up with a moisturizing conditioner for at least an hour after the powder is rinsed. Amla, Brahmi, Cassia, Henna, and Heenara are great conditioning powders. I have tuturials on all of them. Thank you for reading Sis!

      Delete