Sunday, January 29, 2012

Rooti~Tutti Fresh N' Fruity Type Vegan Pancakes


A week ago I decided to change my eating habits, changing  to a vegan diet.  Making the decision came from me using the term "vegan" loosely and not understanding the full sense of what vegan life entailed.  From what I've reseached I've come to a very subjective interpretation of what a vegan is.  That conclusion being, a vegan is not what I am.  Vegans don't just follow a strict plant only based diet, they follow a full fledged plant based everything.  From the food on their tables, to the clothes on their backs (no gators, snake skin purses or shoes, leather watches, shoes or hand bags, cow hid rugs or bear skinned rugs, no leather sofas in their homes or the cars they drive or chairs they sit in in their home).  Many of them are enviornmentalists who approach veganism on a higher consious level then my reasons.  I live life with the belief there is no set way of doing anything, so I'm not a "vegan".  I'm a woman who has given up eating meat, fish, and chicken.  I'm a woman who has replaced eating white flour to whole wheat that includes bread, rice, refined sugar to organic raw sugar,  permanently removed cows milk from her diet, follows a low fat, high protien nutrition plan.  I'm removing fried foods from my diet for the most part.  If I make a quesadilla I'm not baking it, I'm going to make it how it is supposed to be made in a skillet cooked with fat free oil in the pan. Some might feel thats frying so I'm just putting it out there now of what to expect if you should decide to visit this blog looking for 100% vegan recipes.  My diet will be mostly vegan meals, but for now, I love cheese and I'm not willing to give it up.  Eggs, no problem, milk and butter, no problem, but cheese, no can do.  If I make a spanish or italian dish I have to have cheese and a 6.00 bag of Daiya for me just isn't the same.  Instead of using Daiya, I'll be eating cheeses from the milk of grass-fed cows, goats, sheep, or yak that aren’t fed antibiotics or growth hormones.  This is new to me and I'm just sharing my journey of maintaining healthy hair from the inside, out. 

My first recipe...

Whole Wheat Vegan Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp raw sugar
1 ½ cup almond milk       
½ cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
 I found a recipe on HappyHerbivore.com and tweeked it a bit.  My son didn't like the taste of Agave Nectar so I didn't force it on him, he ate syrup.  I also decided not to force anything on my son's they don't willing want to eat. I'll just keep my home filled with healthy snacks  fresh fruits, and sweets made from home, so no matter what they choose, it's good for them. Had I known what I just learned  while writing this blog post, researching the benefits of Agave Nectar I would have used the syrup too.  Agave has more concentrated fructose then high fructos corn syrup.  It isn't an all natural fruit sweetener as I believed before researching it's health benefits.  The real name for the natural substance from sweet fruit and honey is called Levulose not Fructose.  [Check out this article explaining more about Agave Nectar] and it will explain why moving forward I'll still use Agave Nectar, just not in my food.  My goal is to eliminate sugar altogether unless it comes from the fruit I eat...for now I'll stick with raw sugar...and I'm still researching exactly what real raw sugar is and looks like
.  


I always let my youngest son cook along with me. I'm finding this makes him more likely to eat it healthier, because he participated in preparing it.




 I had to take over when it was time to wisk the batter
I lightly sprayed a non-fat, non-stick cooking spray
 I turned them over after about 2 minutes of being on the burner at a medium-high setting .


My son only wanted bananas on his plate...so I placed them into a the shape of a smiley face.

He didn't eat the entire plate...neither did I but I did eat all of the fruit toppings.  Whole wheat pancakes are very filling.
Kid Tested, Mother Approved! 


I added blueberries to my pancake topping as they are very beneficial to my health and [Fitness Magazines] listed them on their Top Ten Superfoods for Gorgeous Hair and Skin.

as always...

HHG!

5 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I'll have to try these out soon! Maybe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stumbled onto your blog and just wanted to show some blog luv! def enjoyed this post! def looks amazing!! would love to guest post some other healthy recipe options sometime is you allow guest bloggers! take a look at my blog and let me know

    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you can....I visited your websites and would love to have you guest post healthy recipes. Send your post along with photos to luvmykynxx@gmail.com. My apology for the delay...I just noticed your comment and also thanks for reading! ~Amber

      Delete
  3. I always make whole wheat pancakes. I mash the bananas and add to the batter, along with dried cranberries &/or nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delish Kajjh59...I'm trying that next with the mashed bananas in my mix..thanks for the tip Sis! ~Amber

      Delete