Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fried Zucchini Rounds-Vegetarian


One of the many things I miss about living in California is the food.  You can stop and any burger joint and order up a batch of fried zucchini for just under $3.  In the few years I've been in Texas I haven't found one place that serves this delicious appetizer.  I rarely afford myself the luxury of eating fried foods especially since I've stopped eating meat.  In effort to satisfy my desire for this deep fried delectable I decided I'd try making some from home and replaced using vegetable oil with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Before I post the recipe...check out this AWESOME chopping board my son surprised me with.  He made it for me in his wood shop class.  I appreciate him so much...for me, everyday is Mother's day :o)


 
I choose a batter mix I found at a local grocery store.  On the label it stated it could be used for chicken, fish, and vegetables.
I'm big on seasoning.  It's all about bringing out the best flavor in food. 

I used one cup of batter mix and 3/4 cup of water added the seasoning's and mixed with a spoon.


Olive oil will burn so I never pre-heat.  Once the zucchini was coated with batter I turned on the burner to medium high setting and allowed the oil to heat up for about 2-3 minutes.


 I turned each round after about 2 minutes of cooking per side and removed from the oil placing the finished rounds on a bed of paper towels to absorb excess oil.
 Bon Appétit

Benefits of drinking ice cold lemon water:
The body requires extra energy to warm up the cold water that you drink up to normal body temperature when it is absorbed into the bloodstream. That is the reason why you feel cold when you drink cold water. Your body is trying to burn extra calories to keep up your body's temperature. In fact, numerous studies have found that the stomach absorbs cold water faster when compared to warm water, thus cold water enters the bloodstream even faster, thereby contributing further to the cold feelings that you get when you drinking a big glass of cold water. [source]

Being raised by a Mother who believed in nature's remedies, she would often reference her favorite health book, Back to Eden by Jethro Kloss, published in 1972.  In the  book, Kloss lists the many benefits of drinking lemon water:

Helps purify the blood and will also control a tendency to bleed
Assists in lowering high blood pressure
Reduces the amount of phlegm in the body
Relieves symptoms of asthma, allergies and other respiratory problems
Nourishes brain and nerve cells due to its potassium content
Helps dissolves gallstones, calcium deposits, kidney stones, and pancreatic stones
In pregnancy, it will help build strong bones in the child.


Book sold on Amazon.com

Happy Healthy Eating!!

 

4 comments:

  1. I am soo loving that cutting board!!!
    These look heavenly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a nice chopping board from your son! And I might have to try that recipe, although I am in Cali and I can find them at any local burger stand LOL

    www.curlychellez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chellez...Girl you said it...I miss that. Im going to be in Cali the end of the month so I'll get some while Im there for sure. :o) ~Amber

      Delete