Thursday, April 26, 2012

Moraccan Chick Pea & Potato Stew ~Vegan/Gluten Free


My first experience eating food cooked in curry...at least from what I remember, was horrible.  I'd just made the dietary switch to vegan/vegetarian and didn't know what to cook or eat for that matter.  I stopped at a local Indian Market that served hot food and ordered some Green Peas Masala at the recommendation of the young female chef.  She explained to me it had cauliflower, peas, carrots, onion, and sauce, served with a side of jasmine rice.  Sounded great!  I took the first bite and my tongue felt like it were on fire! I hadn't planned to even eat the rice but hoping it would cool off my mouth but that didn't work.  I ended up throwing it away, I couldn't bare the heat and vowed never to eat any Indian dishes that have curry in them or the word masala. 

Fast forward to last night.  I've now gotten comfortable with preparing meals that are not processed.  Was a bit scary there at first but now I really enjoy cooking.  The spices, scents, cutting up veggies and making different things is so exciting to me.


Recipe


2- 3 organic potatoes (red or gold)
3 organic carrots
2 garlic cloves
1/2 large onion
1 can chic peas/garbanzo beans
1tbsp sea salt
1tsp black pepper
1tsp turmeric
2 tsp curry powder
just a pinch of cumin
1 bay leave
3tbsp organic tomato paste




Saute' onion and garlic with evoo for about 5 minutes on medium setting, adding potatoes and carrots and saute' those with onion and garlic another 5 minutes, same heat setting.




Add 6-8 cups of water (varies depending on how much you make.  You want the water level to be at least 2 inches above the veggies)

 When it comes to seasoning I always taste my food as I'm cooking.  This is the only way I can tell if anything needs to be added.  The measurements listed are a base, you can always add more or less to suit your own taste buds.
 Cumin
 Turmeric
 Curry
 Salt
 Bay Leaf
 Tomato Paste
Bring to a boil leaving chick peas to the side until veggies are tender about 30-40 minutes. Add chick peas last 10 minutes of cooking.


Sprinkle dried parsley last or garnish with fresh parsley...easy breezy!!


Bon Appétit!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you it looks delish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're Welcome! who ever you are, lol.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to try this on Saturday! Looks soooo yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dish makes me want to jump through this screen and gobble this up. I'm not a vegan/vegetarian (die hard meat lover), but this looks so filling and yummy. I will definitely try this. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete