Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Veggie Enchiladas w/ Homemade Brown Rice and Cumin Seasoned Pinto Beans


Spanish food hands down is  and has always been my favorite food.  Growing up in Southern California it was hard not to love it...there's a taco stand on every corner.  I'd been craving some spanish food, tacos, but didnt want to eat veggie tacos, just not the same.  In the past whenever I would make chicken enchilladas I'd always use chile verde instead of the red enchilada sauce.  I thought I'd try substituting the chicken for grilled onions and peppers to see how it would taste.  Needless to say it tastes just as good as it looks!


Spanish Brown Rice


Measurements depend on amout of rice being cooked, I used one cup of rice 2 1/2 cups of water.

 Saute rice,onion, and garlic until onion using olive oil for 5 minutes on medium high. Stiring often.


 Add one half cup to 3/4 cups of tomato sauce depending on how much tomato flavor you prefer.
 Bring to boil
Simmer on low until rice is tender.

Organic Cumin Pinto Beans

 Combine rinsed beans, 1tbs cumin, any additional desired seasoning, and onion in pot with 1 cup of water

Simmer

Enchiladas

 This recipe is enough for half dozen veggie enchilladas. 6 corn tortillas, 1 16oz can of green enchilada sauce I use Las Palmas brand, 1 2oz an of olives, 3 chives chopped, 16 oz shredded monterey jack cheese.
 Saute mixed peppers and onion in skillet using 2tsp of olive oil for about 3 minutes stiring constantly.
Remove from skillet and set aside in a dish
Warm chile verde sauce on medium heat
 Gather all ingredients to fill the enchillada
Dip tortilla in sauce until completely covered for just a few seconds so tortilla doesn't fall apart in the sauce









Add cheese, olives, and green onion on top and cover with foil. Place in oven @ 400 degrees until cheese melts 15-20 minutes.


 Rice done...
 Beans done...
Enchiladas done...

Bon Appétit!













2 comments:

  1. so random but I totally have the same plate set...! I have had them for years and still love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy!! And I looove Kroger's 3 pepper blend!! I use it in so many of my dishes!!!

    ReplyDelete