Friday, June 22, 2012

Ayurveda for Hair: Heenara Powder


I finally got the chance to use the Hennara Herbal Hair Pack I purchased a little over a month ago.  Any and all things related to Ayurveda for hair attract my attention because my hair and scalp health are living proof of the benefits of using Ayurveda to clean and condition my scalp and hair.  I grabbed the box and was pleased to read the powder includes 14 natural herbs to help beautify the hair, color, condition, and nourish the hair thereby soothing body and mind with cool tranquility.

14 Natural Herbs included in Hennara Herbal Hair Pack include:
Shikakai (Acacia Concinna): Used traditionally in the Indian Subcontinent  for centuries.  This plant is often referred to as "fruit for hair" due to it's benefits on hair.  It produces less foam then a sulfate shampoo however it has a low pH and acts as a natural hair detangler.

 Amla (Phyllanthus Emlica): may be used on hair and skin, natural astringent and skin toner, helps promote black luxuriant hair, controls hair loss, stimulates hair roots thus promoting hair growth, cures scalp infection.

Brahmi (Bacopa Monniera): may help make hair dark, increases hair density (thickness), strengthens hair roots, stops premature graying, controls dandruff, stops hair thinning and hair fall.

Beleric (Terminalia Belerica): In Ayurveda the oil of it's seeds is used to increase hair growth and it's very effective in hair fall.


Indian Sandalwood (Santalum Album): Beneficial in treating dry, brittle, chemically damaged hair from relaxers and hair dye by restoring moisture and elasticity to the hair. 


Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula): Strong anti-bacterial properties. Revitalizes, tones, nourishes skin and hair. Natural astringent.


 Kapoor Kachari (Hedychium Spicatum): Promotes hair growth and thickens hair. Adds a wonderful natural fragrance to hair addition to having antiseptic properties which keep the scalp healthy.


Bhringraj (Eclipta Prostrata):  Beneficial for treating hair loss due to eczema and dermatitis on the scalp. Scientific studies showed 50% faster re-growth of hair then 2% Monoxidil solution, thus making it a great ayurvedic herb to treat male/female patterned baldness.


Fenugreek (Trigonella Foenum-Graecum):  Natural hair cleanser that softens and conditions hair making glow with a natural shine.  Fenugreek is very beneficial for scalp care and promotes healthy strong hair growth preventing dandruff and hair fall.


Sweet Orange/Neroli (Citrus Aurantium Dulcis):  Hair conditioning agent that treats lice, dandruff, and addresses hair loss due to poor blood circulation in the scalp.  


 Neem (Melia Azadirachta):  Fungicide and anti-bacterial for the human body. Remedy for hair loss, pre-mature graying and severe shedding.  Relieves symptoms of scalp psoriasis and gives hair a silky shiny and strong look and feel to the hair.


Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis): Penetrates the hair and provides moisture within the hair shaft. Natural remedy for treating excessive hair fall.


Chinese Hibiscus (Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis): Used to stimulate thicker hair growth, prevent hair loss and scalp disorders, prevents premature gray and restores natural color of the hair.  Natural emollient hair conditioner often used in shampoo and conditioning treatments.


Henna (Lawsonia Intermis):  You all know I love henna! Plenty of information all over this site on benefits of henna.  This is the last ingredient on the list so I am assuming the least included in the powder which explains why it only processes for one hour.  Those who use henna for conditioning only like me, stand to benefit greatly with this powder.  Less processing time and less mess!


The Application


 I mixed the powder with Aloe Vera juice instead of water and allowed it to sit for an hour before applying.


While the Heenara paste sat, I mixed my favorite Love Is In the Hair deep conditioning treatment to apply once the paste is thoroughly rinsed from my hair. To get the full Love is in the Hair recipe [click here]


 Starting at the back of my head I applied the paste on my scalp to the ends of my hair as shown below

 Once the paste was applied to my entire head of hair I covered it for one hour with a plastic cap, no heat.
 After an hour I rinsed the Heenara Herbal Hair Pack and was pleased at how easily it rinsed

 Then I followed up with my deep conditioning treatment and sat under the steamer for 20 mins



No product and my hair is SHINY and SOFT!! I love it!! As you can see my curls have so much definition even after it dried and shrunk up with no product at all!  I give it 2 BIG thumbs up and will definitely be adding this to my regimen of Ayruveda for hair treatments! 

HHG!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. Did you buy the Heenara online or at your local Indian grocery store? I searched amazon.com and couldn't find it. Thanks and keep the Ayurvedic tips coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to find this product online and wanted to know where can you acquire it from here in the United States. Also I love your blog and I am transitioning to all natural. I wish you were closer to the east coast.

    Thanks
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete