Monday, June 11, 2012

Natural Hair Styling..."How long will this style last?"



One of the most frequent questions I get asked is how long will the style last.  Either when I've completed a style on a client or before.  My reply is always the same, it depends.  Some of us sleep a lot wilder than others. You know who you are, durag or satin scarf starts out on your head and by morning your hair is all over the place and the scarf is no where to be found.  Others have mastered the art of sleeping pretty.  You know when you sleep with your hands together laying against your cheek as if they were a pillow.  Definitely wake up to the same style nice and intact that you fell asleep with.  I always encourage my clients to walk around the house wearing a scarf.  This will lessen frizz and prolong your natural hair style considerably.  Sleeping in a satin scarf every single night also increases a styles wear-ability.

My client and fellow Black Girl With Long Hair Style Icon Khyla who redefined the meaning of protective styling giving even more insight to the question of how long a hair style can actually last.  Her hair is absolutely beautiful and she's been natural for 5 years.  She recently blew my mind with how well she took care of a natural hair style I'd done May 9th this year. While I was styling her hair she told me she was going to wear it for awhile.  My first thought was 2 weeks for sure.  NOT, she just took the style down yesterday and was creative enough to make several different styles from the one I'd originally created.

Original Photo Day 1



Still holding on strong and looking fab! Khlya re-positioned the twisted in the middle of her fro-hawk giving it a completely different look.  





In this photo her twists her unraveled and the ends where re-positioned and tucked with pins.  really cute and creative!

Check out Khyla's style icon feature on BGLH [HERE]

So, for those of you who are quick to ask how long a style will last, again it depends on how well you take care of it and how creative you are able to be with your style.  With care, sleeping with a snug scarf or Durag each night and wearing your hair covered when at home will make most protective style I do last 10 to 14 days on average. 



HHG!








3 comments:

  1. Omg! I love every single one of these styles!!! #supercute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! I love every single one of these styles!!! #supercute!

    ReplyDelete