Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Caribbean Rice n' Peas w/ Spicy Plantain Chips~ Vegan


Hay Mon! Tonight was all about that Caribbean flavor cooked nice and healthy.  A few weeks ago I visited Jamaica Gates a local Jamaican restaurant in Arlington, TX.  This was the 2nd time I'd eaten and so far everything I've ordered there I've thoroughly enjoyed.  This last visit really sparked a desire to recreate a couple of dishes I'd ordered. Keep in mind, this was a last minute meal so I had to improvise a little bit.  I will list the traditional recipe for Rice n' Peas as well.

2 cups Basmati Brown Rice
1 can Kidney Beans
1 can Coconut Milk
1/4 cup Diced Onion
1tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Plantain
1 tbs thyme leaves
1tsp chopped fresh garlic
1/8 cumin, chili powder, and powdered cayenne pepper
Dried Cilantro to sprinkle
Sea Salt to taste


 Rinse rice and bean is cool water to remove starch and bean juice.


Turn stove on medium high and pour measured olive oil inside of the pan.  Saute' onion and garlic for a few minutes in pan until onions turn light brown before adding water, coconut milk and beans.
 
 Add seasoning and spices.
The last thing I added was sea salt.

Cover and simmer on low until rice is tender or water has dissolved. Note: I will never make this dish using brown rice...at least not Basmati.  I suggest parboiled brown rice or Jasmine rice.


I like to cut the ends  off first then a thin cut along one side of the plantain...gently peel the skin off.


Gather ingredients and pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
 Rinse in cold water to remove starch from cut plantains remove from water and allow to set on paper towel to absorb excess water
Cumin
Cayenne Pepper

Garlic Powder



Chile' Powder





















Combine 1/8-1/4 tbs of each of the above seasonings to your desired tasted with extra virgin olive oil and place plantains in a bowl.  Place cut, seasoned, and oiled plantains into a baking pan and allow to bake in oven for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.


Remove lid from rice n' peas once rice is tender (cooking time will vary depending on type of rice used). Makes 4 cups.

Garnish with Cilantro leaves. 



Traditional Jamaican rice n' peas  includes one stem whole uncut fresh thyme, one whole uncut habanero or scotch bonnet pepper, and scallion. Once water and coconut cook down from rice and peas remove thyme stem, pepper, scallion and serve.


Bon Appétit !

2 comments:

  1. I'll be trying this as soon as these darn plantains ripen. I bought some cream of coconut from Dollar Tree so I'm going to cook the rice in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post. While I'm not a vegan I am Caribbean and I do showcase a meals over at my blog. Feel free to stop by thank you. http://kreamykurls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete