Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Healthy Hair Dying...is it Possible?

Photo from http://colouredbeautiful.com/?p=601

This season I've gotten ton's of questions regarding healthy ways to dye or highlight hair.  In the photo above this beautiful Naturalista used a hair dye that has been around for years called Manic Panic.  I worked at Sally beauty supply in 1998 for a few months and that stuff used to fly off the shelf.  Mostly punk rockers who wanted bright vivid colored hair would buy it so it didn't strike interest for me to try it.  Who would have thought I'd see such a beautiful color come from those same jars (Purple Haze and Ultra Violet). This photo really makes me what to color mine...gorgeous.  Here is what Manic Panic looks like and the various shades you can choose: 


If you want to go lighter I recently learned of 2 plant based hair dyes that have no ammonia and/or no peroxide.  Both ingredients cause drying and breakage that is more severe for those who choose to go from a very dark shade to a very light shade.  What made this a great alternative to me was the lightening must be done in steps called "Progressive Coloring".  For instance, my hair color is dark brown.  If I wanted to lighten it to golden blond I could actually do so by lighting no more than 2 shades lighter than my natural color at a time until I reach my desired shade.  It makes so much sense that by doing so the hair is subjected to much less trauma then from going from dark brown to platinum blond in one session. From the information on both websites both brands are quite similar. They are both plant based and claim to offer healthier permanent hair coloring capable of lightening up to 2 shades. They both offer complete grey coverage as well.  Soft, shiny, long lasting, damage free hair color are what both claim to offer even with repeated use.  However, there are a few differences.



  • Available in 29 shades
  • Contains peroxide
  • NO mineral oil, silicone's, heavy metals, artificial fragrance, SLS, or formaldehyde derivatives
  • Contains Sunflower extract to keep color fresh for at least 5 weeks
FAQ:Q. I am African American, and my hair is very coarse. Will Naturtint® work for me?



A. Yes. All Naturtint® hair color products are developed and tested on a number of different hair types; they pass several exhaustive quality controls before being released to the consumer. One of the toughest tests that Naturtint® passes is the Gray Cover test, which ensures complete gray coverage.  For more detailed information about NaturaTint visit [HERE]




 

Available in 30 shades
Available in 16 Semi Permanent(no peroxide washes out in 6-8 washes) Vegetal
Claims to offer no damage coloring
Contains Peroxide (permanent)
FAQ:
How is Herbatint different from other hair colors?
Herbatint contains NO AMMONIA and is very, very low in peroxide (3%) –some colors can have up to 20%. The color is derived from the actual source i.e. vegetable and herbs. Vegetal (semi permanent color) contains no ammonia and no peroxide and is very, very gentle to your hair. The color is also derived from natural sources.
For more information on Herbatint click  [HERE]

My Henna results

And of course there is Henna, Cassia and Indigo...all are plant based hair dyes that offer deposit only coloring without the capability of lifting or lightening the natural hair color.  Results from henna may vary based on the natural hair tone and color and if the hair has been previously colored. Color is easily noticed in sunlight or bright indoor lighting.  For more information on Henna, Cassia, or Indigo click [HERE]

TIP: Always use a good protein conditioning treatment a few days before or after permanently color treating your hair. This will keep the hair strong and prevent breakage and damage.

Highlighting Hair Rinses:

 Chamomile: this will lighten fair hair. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over 1/4 cup of chamomile flowers. Cool; strain before using.

Rhubarb: This will also lighten hair. Use 1/4 cup chopped, fresh rhubarb to 2 cu...ps boiling water. Cool: Strain Before using.

Sage, Lavender, and Cinnamon: These willl darken hair. 1/4 cup of sage, lavender or 3 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces to 2 cups boiling water. Cool and strain.

Hibiscus Flowers:
These will give red highlights to light or dark hair. Use dry flowers or herbal tea containing hibiscus flowers. Steep the flowers in boiling water to the shade you desire. You can always go darker so start out with a weak mixture.


Wishing all of you a Colorful Summer in 2012!!

HHG!!

2 comments:

  1. This picture makes me want to dye my hair too, it's so gorgeous! Cinnamon for dying has been buzzing lately but I don't know what other ingredients were used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used cinnamon in henna one time to mask the lingering henna scent it leaves on my hair. I didn't notice much difference color wise though...I want to dye mine too but I think I have an idea to get the color without having to dye it...;)

      Delete