Sunday, November 25, 2012

Protective Styling~Banana Clip Updo #2


I came up with this easy style a week ago this past Sunday after accepting an invite to Church.  I didn't know what to do and knew a bun wasn't going to cut it and I had very little time to do whatever I was going to do. Quick thinking I grabbed my faithful banana clip and styled it the exact same way I did in my previous styling tutorial style here: [Summer Protective: Banana Clip Updo]  I tweaked it simply by placing the clip at the top of my head instead of the back. 

 



 
What you'll need:
Styling Product of choice to slick hair down around the sides. I find gels work best to slick mine down so I used Kinky Curly Curling Custard.

 
Open ended bobby pins.

 
Banana clip

 
Large toothed comb

 
Soft boar bristle brush
 

I started with clean, conditioned, detangled hair...This style may be done on dry hair that has been stretched from wearing twists or braids as well by misting lightly with water or your moisturizer of choice to make the hair easier to detangle and comb through.



 I use my large toothed comb to gather my hair and place it towards the front top part of my head.

This banana clip works best on full hair. The long slim clips are for straighter hair textures and tend to be much too tight once the clasp is closed.

 
 Once the clip is on, I then add the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (down to my last ;) to slick and shine the sides and back of my hair brushing it once to add a clean smooth finish.
The hair left out is then twisted in several chunky twists.


 
 This is were the creativity come into play.  I pinned the back twists down using a pin curl pattern with open ended bobby pins to secure them into place.










 

 







 The second set of photos shows my hair pinned slightly different from the photos at the beginning of the post. Once the hair coming out of the clip is twisted just get creative and style the twists however you like that goes with your face.  The more you style it the better you'll become at choosing looks that suit your own face shape.

  HHG!!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. Got to love the trusty Banana Clip. It has been a handy tool for me back when jelly shoes and jelly bracelets was the thing. I usually use them at the top or front of my head to help me hair have a fuller or top heavy look.

    I am looking forward to trying your style out soon for a more refined top heavy style with the Banana clip.

    ReplyDelete