Sunday, December 2, 2012

Castor Oil Challenge: Meet the Participants

First I have to say thank you to all who signed up to participate in LMK Castor Oil Challenge.  This will serve as motivation and support for us all and also for those who read LMK blog and want to learn how to care for their hair naturally. Let's get right to it and meet the participants who wanted to be included in the posts.

Kiara
 
1. Scalp massages every day
2. Castor oil three times a week but more frequently on certain areas.
3. I am going to "steam" my hair with a shower cap at least twice a week. This is also known as the GHE (Greenhouse Effect)
4. Protective styles every day
5. Wash my hair about once or twice every two weeks.
6. Document everything in a hair journal
7. Document with photos
8. No trimming only dusting
9. No using heat (flat irons, blow dryer) until the very last day of the challenge for a comparison photo
10. Moisturize and seal

Products I will be using
1. One and Only Argon Oil Shampoo (wash)
2. As I Am Coconut Co-Wash Conditioner (wash)
3. Extra virgin coconut oil (more than once a week)
4. Unrefined Shea Butter (only when plaiting or twisting hair)
5. One and Only Argon Oil moisturizing cream (because my hair gets dry at the ends)
6. And of course.... JBCO! :D

Angela

My Hair Regimen is as follows :)
Mondays:
-Shampoo- Jane Carter hydrating invigorating shampoo SLS-FREE
-Condition- Clear scalp and Hair Therapy Ultra Shea
-Deep Condition- Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Hair Masque or Doris
Mud Minerals pack treatment.
- De tangle with denman brush
- Style hair in two strand twist with Eco-Styler gel or Shea Butter
Thursday:
-Co-wash- Clear scalp and Hair Therapy Ultra Shea
-Style hair in two strand twist with Eco-Styler gel or Shea Butter
Daily:
-Moisturize with homemade hair spritz. Water, olive oil, jojoba oil
and coconut oil.
-Always making sure to wear a charmuse satin bonnet at night to protect hair.


Amina
 
VBerry88
Products used:
Pantene ProV Curly Hair Series Shampoo and Conditioner
Cantu Leave in Conditioner


Frances
My regimen is as follows:
Weekly co washing with tresemme moisture rich conditioner or herbal essence hello hydration....
Weekly deep conditioning with hair mayonnaise or cholesterol....
Weekly leave in conditioner either Alikay's leave in conditioner or cantu shea butter
Sometimes I pre poo with essential oils such as lemon, jojoba, rosemary, peppermint, and extra virgin olive oil........
I use clarifying shampoo approx. every six months

Every two weeks or so I steam my hair.....
Every 6 weeks or so I either use protein or henna on my hair...
Everyday I use extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil - 80/20 ratio with a few drops of lemon, peppermint, argan, or rosemary oil....depending on what i felt like that day......



Akua
 
Hair Regimen
Nightly Routine:
Spray hair with water
Apply Leave-in conditioner (Granier Fructis Intensely Smooth Leave-in Conditioner OR Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Conditioner)
Apply Castor/Coconut Oil Mix
Put hair in Protective Style

Protective Styles:
Single Braids or Twists
Flat Twists
One-Two large head band twists

Daily Routine:
Spritz hair with water
Smooth Castor/Coconut Oil on twists or braids

Weekly:
Shampoos: Dr Bronner's Castile Soap, ACV or Nothing But Shampoo.
Conditioners: As I Am Co-wash, Ren Cleansing Conditioner or Suave Almond & Shea Conditioner

Alternate Weeks:
Deep Conditioner Moisturizer Treatment: Suave Shea Almond Conditioner, Honey, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil mix

OR

Deep Conditioner Protein Treatment:
Suave Shea Almond Conditioner, Honey, Olive Oil Mayo, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil mix

Chanise


Kenya
My hair regimen is not major at all! The main product that I use is Shea Moisture. I use this to shampoo and condition. Also I co-wash with it. To deep condition my hair I use As I am hydration elation intensive conditioner. For daily moisture I use aloe Vera juice and Shea butter. When twisting my hair I use Shea butter and sweet almond oil. As you can see...nothing major, but I'm ready to make a change!
Clara

My regimen is protective styling with JBCO 3-5
times weekly on scalp, biweekly wash/conditioning with Pantene Relaxed
& Natural (for now) and JBCO as a hot oil treatment.

Ke



Regimen: Keep It Simple Sista (k.i.s.s. for me)
Wash once a week/ week & half (must for me because scalps gets irritated otherwise)
Moisturize ends at night/mornings with aloe vera juice and water
Apply JBCO every other day
Massage scalp daily
Styles:
Two strand twists, pin tucks, protective updos
Products:
Hello Hydration Shampoo and Conditioner, Cream of Nature Shampoo and Condition

 
 
Last but not least...ME!



My regimen will consist of using 1/2 JBCO and 1/2 Grapeseed Oil directly onto my scalp 3 times per week.  I will steam my hair in the braids every two weeks and apply an astringent to my scalp as needed to remove dirt/build-up. My goal is to leave the braids in for the full duration of the challenge. If the frizz gets to be too much I will take them down the first of January, shampoo using Amazing Botanicals Black Soap Poo and DC using Honey Condish. I will seal with JBCO and Grapeseed Oil mix and re-braid my hair leaving them up until the last day of the challenge. I know I will get at least 1 full inch of hair growth...using JBCO Im hoping to get more than that. We shall see.

HHG!
 

1 comment:

  1. Really very good post, Thanks for the information.

    By
    Marisha Wick
    Jamaican Black Castor

    ReplyDelete