Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Rajasthani Henna Review


One of the many perks about being a natural hair stylist is meeting others who appreciate sharing information on hair care.  Not long ago I had the pleasure of styling a young lady's hair who told me she often uses henna to keep her hair healthy.  We exchanged our methods, brands of henna we'd used, and recipes.  She told me she uses a henna from the website shown in the photograph above.  This was her henna of choice due to it having the highest  henna lawsone (dye) content of 3.29. This is far greater than the average hennas dye content of 1.7-2.3 [source] so on darker shades of brown to black natural hair color, I was hoping to get a more vibrant highlight.
 I'd forgotten I had henna samples from [Henna Sooq] from last year.  I was surprised to see it was the same henna with a different brand name on the label, Rajasthani Indian Henna! I mixed them together so I'd have a larger batch with enough to place into a carrot bag and freeze for future use.
The Steps


1. Pour henna into glass, plastic, or ceramic bowl
 2. Squeeze juice from 2 lemons.  You can also use all lemon juice only as your liquid.

3.After stirring in lemon juice add purified or distilled water to henna powder 1/2 cup at a time until the consistency mimics pancake batter or yogurt. 

 4. Add your favorite oil of choice.  Mine is olive oil when mixing with henna.  Makes the paste much less drying on the hair in my opinion.  I added one full cup to 150 grams of Rajasthani Henna Powder. Thoroughly mix paste, lemon juice, water, and EVOO.

 Notice the color prior to the dye release in this photo. It's greenish. Once the dye releases it looks more brownish.  I forgot to photograph the paste after it sat 9 hours however I could definitely tell a difference in smoothness on the after and when comparing it to other henna powders I've used.  Paste has to sit 6-24 hours for dye to release.
  
I went ahead and filled one carrot bag with henna paste prior to covering with foil and allowing to sit over night.  I applied my henna first by sectioning off my hair into 4 equal parts, starting with the back and applying the paste from root to ends, concentration of henna paste at the root.  One great benefit of using henna is it tightens the roots which aids in less hair fall.  



 5. Rinse henna paste. This may take up to 1/2 an hour depending on the length and density of hair you have. It took me about 10 minutes to get it completely rinsed, which is less then it takes using other henna powders I've tried.  Definite plus. Using conditioner helps speed the rinsing process as well. Rinse hair until water runs clear, add conditioner by working it through with your fingers from the roots to the ends and repeat until water color from rinsing runs clear again.
 I trimmed an inch all around on blown out hair this time (photo below)...it had been 4 year since I last used heat.  My hair is still Armpit length at the bottom after cutting into a layered bob.

 6. I applied Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner uncovered and sat under my steamer for 20 minutes then rinsed with cool water.  DEEP MOISTURIZE CONDITIONING TREATMENTS MUST BE DONE AFTER HENNA IS RINSED FROM HAIR this is a VERY IMPORTANT STEP AFTER USING HENNA!  After the DC you will want to be sure you assess your hairs moisture level for several days to ensure it doesn't become to dry and brittle which causes breakage.  


  I love this henna.  In days to come the color will deepen and I'll be sharing more photos of the twist out I wear.  The photo above is my hair fully shrunken, with no product, unfiltered. I love the shine!




All Natural, no product, no filter, all shrinkage! 

HHG!

No comments:

Post a Comment