Monday, December 28, 2015

Vegan Spelt Blueberry Banana Nut Muffins


I tried my hand at baking from scratch for the 1st time, following a recipe I found from a blog titled Oh She Glows!  I came across what I feel is one of the best pages on Instagram for vegetarian and vegan foodies. For the past few weeks I've been slowly introducing alkaline vegan foods into my diet as a means to improve my overall health & that of my family.   Although the ingredients are not all alkaline, the majority of them are. All I can say is kudos to me!  These babies came out so delicious & moist. No sugar & no dairy were used.  These little sweet, sugar free, low cal (spelt flour has much less calories than regular bleached or whole wheat flour), non-dairy delights are now going to be a staple in my home.  Just 20 min prep, 20 min bake and lots of love was all it took ❤️ to make 14 muffins. 

What you need: 
I followed the recipe listed on Oh She Glows! blog, replacing a few of the ingredients with similar alternates. For instance, instead of using 6 tsps of raw cane sugar I used agave nectar. Same amount as called for in recipe. Also, instead of using medium sized bananas I used 3 very small organic bananas which equates to 3/4 cup as required for the recipe. Everything else was followed exactly as instructed in the directions below as shown on OSG's blog. 

YIELD
12 LARGE MUFFINS
PREP TIME
20 MINUTES
COOK TIME
25 MINUTES

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
  • 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 2 cups light spelt flour
  • 6 tablespoons coconut sugar (or Sucanat or natural cane sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnut pieces
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (see note)

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a muffin tin.
  2. In a medium bowl, mash bananas and measure out 3/4 cup. If you have any leftover mashed banana you can freeze it for a smoothie.
  3. Place mashed banana into medium bowl along with the milk, vinegar, maple syrup, and vanilla. No need to stir it yet.
  4. Melt the coconut oil in a small pot over low heat. Set aside.
  5. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda).
  6. Stir coconut oil into the wet mixture. Pour wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix as spelt is a fragile little flour.
  7. Gently fold in the walnuts and then the blueberries, being sure not to overmix as this can result in dense muffins.
  8. Spoon about a heaping 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin tin, filling each tin about 3/4 full (they will seem very full, but this is normal!) I like to press a few extra blueberries on top of each so they look pretty after baking.
  9. Bake at 350F for 23-27 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. I baked them for 25 minutes.
  10. Cool in pan for 5-8 minutes and then transfer muffins to a cooling rack and cool for another 15 minutes.

Note: If using frozen blueberries, be sure to leave them in the freezer (do not thaw) until just before you stir them into the batter. This helps prevent bleeding.


This is how my muffin batter looked after all ingredients wet & dry which are prepared separately were combined. 

Oven Ready! I placed a few additional blueberries on top and pressed them
into the batter of each muffin as suggested on OSG's blog for added beauty once baked. 

And here they are. Hot n' fresh from the oven. I fell in love with the cinnamon sweet smell that filled my home while they baked. 

This photo doesn't do any justice in describing how soft and moist these muffins turned out but I'm hoping a close up can provide some small idea of how good they are. 


I knew for the most part I was going to be pleased with them. The real judge was the taste test from my extremely picky 10 year old son. He loves them! He ate 3 back to back and I didn't even try to stop him because knowing they are sugar and dairy free made me so happy to see him enjoy them as much as I did after I ate one. 

Happy Healthy Eating! 

For more delicious veggie recipes visit link below: 
http://ohsheglows.com/
Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/02/19/blissful-blueberry-banana-spelt-muffins-vegan-refined-sugar-free/#ixzz3vgOPdl
rc
 
Created with Blogger App for iPhone 

No comments:

Post a Comment